4-8th February 2019
Information for Section Leaders & Explorer Scout Young Leaders
What is Mission Possible?
Mission Possible is a week where as a County we will focus on supporting Explorer Scout Young Leaders (ESYL) to achieve their missions. These missions are designed to allow the Young Leaders to put the learning from the Modules into practice. By doing so, they will gain in confidence and become an integral part of the leadership
team within their Section and Group.
As part of Mission Possible recourses for both Young Leaders and section leaders will be shared to provide support and ideas to help Young Leaders to complete their missions.
If every section and ESYL takes part in Mission Possible and completes a mission, then ultimately, we can increase the number of Young Leader Belt Buckles that we award and recognise the contribution that Explorer Scout Young Leaders make in our District.
Who can take part?
Any ESYL within any section can take part in Mission Possible. It would be great to see every ESYL in Blackpool take part and complete at least one mission as part of Mission Possible.
Why are we holding Mission Possible?
• Although ESYLs can work towards their ESYL belt at any time, Mission Possible week is a great opportunity to put a lot more emphasis and support towards ESYLs achieving their missions and encourage people to either start or complete their missions.
• Mission Possible is a fantastic opportunity for us to celebrate the excellent contribution our Explorer Scout Young Leaders make to Scouting in Blackpool and reward them for their commitment.
• Missions allow ESYLs to develop valuable skills for like and put their skills and knowledge into practice
with support from their section leaders.
• Mission Possible provides us with the chance to highlight the training and award scheme for ESYLs.
What do we do when an ESYL has completed a Mission?
Share what our Young Leaders have been up to on social media and email the DYC team with any photos, so that we can share ideas and best practice.
Section leaders can sign off completed Missions in the ESYL logbook. Please let Annastasia (YL Coordinator) know so that she can keep records up to date.
Once each / all missions have been completed contact Annastasia (YL Coordinator) to counter sign the ESYL Logbook.
After each mission is completed, a mission strip badge can be awarded.
Once all training and missions have been completed and signed off ESYLs can be awarded their Young Leader Belt Buckle.
To print a logbook: https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources (search Young Leader logbook)
• For more information about the Young Leaders Scheme, resources and ideas about how ESYLs can complete their missions search https://members.scouts.org.uk/youngleaders.
• The ‘Preparing to Lead’ resource available online is helpful for leaders supporting ESYLs through their
training and missions.